Wednesday 30 January 2013

January 30th - Population 436 (18?)



Gotta love these straight-to-video films. No really. This was actually pretty darn good.
I'll give you 1 guess as to what Pop. 436 is about. Yep, you got it. A small, out of town town's population is 436 and never changes. NEVER!
Steve Kady (Jeremy Sisto) is sent to investigate why the town's population hasn't changed for the past century and slowly discovers its gruesome secret. If anyone stays overnight, they become 'one of us' and someone has to 'disappear' to keep the numbers right. They do this by holding a summer fayre ordeal, with the 'host' being hanged as the main attraction. The story isn't anything amazing, it's your usual deep south town that keeps to itself, so the sets aren't anything big and clever; the cast are pretty convincing, even with having to switch between being nicey-nicey and eerily suspicious; and the scripting doesn't make anything sound forced. The biggest surprise for me was Deputy Bobby Caine. After only a few lines he became a very sincere and likeable character, and by the end of the movie, my favourite. But something kept making me wonder who he was. He seemed familiar, so after I'd finished watching I head over to IMDB to check him out. It turns out that he's none other than FRED DURST! Most singers that turn to acting can't quite hack it, but this was different. He was able to give the emotional range needed to pull it off that others lack. I'm not saying that he should become a full-time actor, but he should give the big screen a try, especially if his performance here is anything to go by.
The ending came as a shock to me, though looking back, I could have figured it out if I had played detective and analysed the movie instead of enjoying it. There is an alternate ending that I would very much like to see, but can't find it anywhere. So if anyone knows of it, let me know!

A movie that shows that not all staight-to-video releases are bad. - 4 tow trucks out of 5


Trailer --- IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment